What your MP can do for you

This section is designed to answer any questions you may have about the role of MPs and how they can help you.

As the Member of Parliament for Elmet & Rothwell, Alec’s role is to represent his constituents at Westminster.

It is important to note that Members of Parliament can only deal with issues raised by their own constituents, so make sure you check you are contacting the MP who represents your constituency.

What can my MP do to help me?

Alec can help you with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible, such as:

  • Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department.
  • Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance.
  • Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration.
  • Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service.
  • Problems dealt with by the Department for Education, such as school closures and grants.

How does my MP deal with my problem?

Alec can deal with constituents’ problems in a number of ways, some of which include:

  • A letter to the relevant organisation.
  • A letter to the relevant Government Minister.
  • Seek clarification of the reason for decisions taken.
  • Support appeals by individuals or communities.

Leeds City Council Issues:

Please note that Alec is a Member of Parliament and not a Leeds City Councillor, this means he may have to forward your complaint to one of your local Councillors if the matter is a local council issue, for example, planning applications.

Contact Alec:

By post:
Alec Shelbrooke MP
House of Commons
London, SW1A 0AA.

By email:

By phone: